You have decided to sell. Now you are wondering what do I need to do to get it ready? First remember, buying a home is an emotional and sensory experience. To attract top offers, the home must make a positive appeal to all the senses: looking, feeling and smelling its best.
To start, a thorough cleaning and de-cluttering is the best medicine for bringing your home into prime showing condition.
- Clean all flooring, steam clean carpets, clean tile and grout, polish floors.
- Make your bathrooms and kitchen sparkle and smell inviting.
- Wash or replace window treatments and wash blinds.
- All hard surface furniture dusted and polished.
- Appliances clean inside and out.
- All clutter to be cleared.
- Closets, drawers, cabinets to be clean and organized.
- Garage, attic basement being used for storage should be clean, neat and uncluttered.
A lot of what needs to done is your time and labor. However, fixing things that are broken and doing some refreshing can bring a faster sale and may result in a higher sale price. Keep in mind first impressions are the most lasting. Step back and look at your 'curb appeal'. In season, plant or pot flowers. Make sure your front door is inviting and in top shape.
Although, it is not easy keeping a home show-ready for the duration of the market time, it is important. Every day, beds should be made and kitchen cleaned up. With jobs and kids, it can be difficult. That is part of the importance of a fast sale.
We can offer you tips and advice for the best use of your available time and resources to get your home ready for market. This is based on the many many homes we have been in. Condition of home is one of the most important aspects a buyer looks at. It makes sense that a buyer will pay a higher price for the home in better condition, all else being equal. And our own experience proves this out.
Needing advice? We are always happy to look and give professional opinion for the best approach to marketing a home and property.
Dorothy Reagan, Broker at Waterford Realty Associates, 425-308-6955